Old 11-17-2009, 08:31 PM   #18
canuck37
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 87491
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Vehicle:
03 Sport
Blk/Slvr

I tried one under my 03 and the thing hung down so low that it bottomed out on me (tire width issue, not total circumference....

Also, talked to a Subie mechanic. The cable system is designed to support the weight of the donut, not a full size spare (heavier).

Plus, if it dropped off while driving down the road and it caused an accident, you might be liable I am told, since it was an non-original modification and unsafe.

I decided the best idea was to just carry the full size in the back or in my roof rack, when on long trips. Otherwise I don't mess with it.

Just my $0.02 worth.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev m View Post
I don't see why it wouldn't.

I've got a full-size spare on a steel wheel hanging under mine.

I did have to spread the bars on the edges of the tire holder very slightly to help it fit.

And last time I had to drop it I lowered the support cable to find that the tire didn't come with it lol, I had to reach under and give it a nudge to free it.

Anyway, I can't see why the stock rim wouldn't fit, as long as there is a hole in the center of the hub for the cable end and metal support to fit through. Is there a center hub that pops out of the stock wheel?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
canuck37 is offline   Reply With Quote