Old 11-18-2009, 08:48 PM   #21
canuck37
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 87491
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Vehicle:
03 Sport
Blk/Slvr

You're probably right, but frankly, in lawsuit-crazy California, I was not willing to take the risk. I like my paid-off house too much! It just isn't that important an issue for me to have it there.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev m View Post
Must be the reported difference in ground clearance I've heard of between the 03 and later Bajas like mine.

In my case, it hangs no lower than my hitch, actually, it's probably higher than the hitch.

Having spent nearly 20 years in the industry, I take what most techs say with a HUGE grain of salt.

That said, of course that would be the official word, I mean crap, you should see some of the BS lawsuits that car manufacturers have to deal with.

Half of my family consists of engineers, who tell me the industry design standard for things like this are 3x the maximum anticipated force.

i.e. a part is designed to hold up to 3x the amount of force it is expected to see under the most extrem conditions. Maybe I'll weigh the two tire and wheel assemblies back-to-back next time I pull the spare, but I highly doubt it weighs more than 3x the original near useless donut.

And as my story illustrates, even after dropping the support cable the tire remained behind supported by the interference fit with the bars around the carrier, so the cable isn't even holding all that weight. Hell, it's a freakin' steel cable, do you know how much force it would take to snap it?

Much-ado-about-nothing

YMMV

* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
canuck37 is offline   Reply With Quote