View Single Post
Old 12-04-2009, 01:13 AM   #1
vincephan_7
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 199018
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Default The RWD Conversion Thread: Theory and Discussion

First and foremost, I created this thread in hopes of it turning into a great source of information for anyone that wants to know more about RWD conversions and to discuss the topic in detail without having to look too hard.

There are quite a few RWD conversion threads here on nasioc, but all of them seem to be dense in discussion and many problems that come from this type of conversion are left unasked and unquestioned.

RWD Subaru's have become a lot more popular over the last few months. We now see many RWD subies competing in drift competitions, even a number of our members have converted their own subaru into rwd, so i thought it would be a good idea to get a thread together so that people could share with the community of their opinions, ideas, etc.

So i was thinking, since a RWD subie would no longer need it's front axles, would the removal of the axles allow us to reposition the engine closer to the firewall/lower towards the ground in order to help improve the handling dynamics of the car?

Perhaps new motor mounts or a new subframe would allow us to position our boxer engines at a more optimal place. If we could push back and lower our already low COG boxer engines, a RWD subaru could easily become one of the better balanced RWD cars out there,

I've read from another RWD conversion thread here on nasioc that a rx-7 transmission was once mated to our boxer engine without too much work. does anyone have more information on this?

AWD and FWD cars handle quite similarly, but to my understanding, RWD cars do not. Once a subaru is converted to RWD, how does one go about in taking care of its suspension? For example, a coilover designed for a AWD subaru will not work well on a RWD subaru. How do we deal with this?

Our rearend's are not capable of handling the type of power we will be putting down. Which rear-ends would be easy to swap in? How have drift teams been able to remedy this problem and is their solution replicable for the average car enthusiast?

These are just some questions I have pertaining to RWD subarus and i hope that through this thread, these questions and many others will eventually be answer.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
vincephan_7 is offline   Reply With Quote