View Single Post
Old 12-14-2009, 09:30 PM   #3
NoSubYet
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 131350
Vehicle:
2006 EVO9RS

^^^ At this point its only a handful reporting this issue....The general consensus is, it is fuel related & not any of the ethanol approved lines / other components in the EVO (Anyway I hope not)...I would hope the WRX & EVO have similar component builds that are ethanol compliant......Heres a cut/paste from some type of Engineer who analyzed the material.....Glad to hear all's well over here.......Peace

Well, here is what I did just so everyone is clear. I filled a 40mL vial with E85 and blew it dry with nitrogen gas and mild heating (about 150*F). After there was no fuel left, I placed it under high vacuum to remove any remaining volatiles for about an hour. I was left with a clear sticky residue that smelled bad - like nasty frying oil. I dissolved this sample in the NMR solvent and analyzed it and it IS the same goo that was on the injector. There was smaller amounts of some other stuff in it as well, but the same peaks I saw in the black goo were in this residue. The black goo IS coming from the E85. It isn't naturally black, though. I suspect it just has soot mixed in with it that is giving it the color.So the next challenge is figuring out why is this crap in our fuel, and if it is in everyone's fuel (particularly people who aren't having this problem).
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
NoSubYet is offline   Reply With Quote