Scooby Guru

Member#: 103068
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
11 STI sedan
SWP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daishi00 View Post
It's williaty's car in the video. It was shot by TIC. If memory serves he was running D-Spec's in that video but I could be wrong.

As pretty much everyone has stated stiffer springs are not going to make droop not needed. Stiffer springs will cause the suspension to not react as well to bumps, possibly lifting a tire in which it will easily cause the shock droop. On the track it's not as big of a deal as normally the track is smoother than roads, but for the average road in the US droop IS important. Stiffer suspension can help compensate for lack of bump travel, but again, this can cause the car to unsettle. I rather have my wheels try and maintain contact with the road at all times rather and F1 it around corners and after hitting bumps and 2 or 3 wheel the car

I can tell you for a fact that my car running 500/400 T2 units easily uses up the entire amount of droop on normal roads.

AST, KW and Ohlins all use helper springs to control preload. I've never unseated a spring and I've had all 4 wheels off the ground before and haven't unseated a spring. The helper spring when compressed doesn't affect the overall spring rate of the unit. It's simply there for when you go into droop that you don't unseat the spring as it will stay preloaded.
Ok, so here is the next problem. To get droop and sufficient bump travel, you will need a long spring. In my case, I stuffed a lot of wheel and tire in my fenders and don't have that much room to play with anymore. I noticed that many of the suspension systems that you mentioned seem to have the bottom of the spring below the top of the tire. This simply won't work in my application. Was it an optical illusion or am I really going to be stuck with Japanese coilovers? I want my car to look "cool to the high skool kids", so I don't like the stock ride height. I don't want major fender gap, an inch or so is all I can really handle... I'm stuck huh?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
littlewhitewagon is offline   Reply With Quote