Scooby Guru

Member#: 78952
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2005 WRX
CGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewhitewagon View Post
Helper springs are springs that are low in rate in comparison to the main springs which take up slack in the suspension before the main springs do their work. In most cases, these helper springs are flat and are compressed most of the time.

Basically, its kind of an aftermarket way of doing what stock springs do with progressive rates. Soft, then stiff as you compress them.

**Experts- correct me if I'm wrong since this is my understanding of how to use them**
Close. The helper spring doesn't add a progressive rate at all to the system. It's just there to keep the main spring preloaded. 95% of the time it's fully compressed so it's rate in in effect infinte. Some coilovers use progressive main springs though (KW V3's as an example).

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewhitewagon View Post
Ok, so here is the next problem. To get droop and sufficient bump travel, you will need a long spring. In my case, I stuffed a lot of wheel and tire in my fenders and don't have that much room to play with anymore. I noticed that many of the suspension systems that you mentioned seem to have the bottom of the spring below the top of the tire. This simply won't work in my application. Was it an optical illusion or am I really going to be stuck with Japanese coilovers? I want my car to look "cool to the high skool kids", so I don't like the stock ride height. I don't want major fender gap, an inch or so is all I can really handle... I'm stuck huh?
Well, If you are trying to achieve really low ride heights then yes, because the Euro brands don't really offer height independent settings. The AST's and KW's (and therefore RCE units) have quite a bit of room to work with in terms of tire clearance. I've got an ass ton of room between the unit and the wheel and I'm running like -1.3 rear camber. I think boost junkie was running around -1.7- -2 in the rear with a 9.5" wheel at one point and had room on his T2's and his JRZ's.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Daishi00 is offline   Reply With Quote