Member#: 234291
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX - '04 EJ257
w/ ECU & Fuel -'04 5MT

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by redheat86 View Post
I'm not going to get into this as I have limited knowledge.

But...You need to look at the volume of oil flowing at whatever point you are going to tap and route at and also at what point the oil is going back into the motor.

I have a strong inclination to say that the reason the oil filter/sandwich location is used is becuase that oil is directly from the pan/pump and going into the motor/heads/turbo..Its pointless to cool oil that is going to a pan as its going to be reheated as its compressed again through the pump.
I know exactly what you are trying to propose... however, FLOW(of course some things control flow) is the only factor that will impact the effect of an oil cooler.
Whether or not you are cooling the oil by "X" at a point where it is Extremeley hot, or you cool it by "X" at a point that is near ambient(not that this happens,) you are still cooling the total oil with the same NET IMPACT.

ex: Lets say "X" above is equal to 40*(ability of oil cooler)

320* - 40* = 280* (high temp with oil coolers ability subtracted)
200* - 40* = 160* (Low temp with oil coolers ability subtracted)

This will be true as long as the rate of flow is equal in each situation.
However if you are cooling the oil right before a crutial structure(ie. turbo) then it's specific performance may be improved... but regaurdless, if the flow is equal, than the total temp of the oil will remain the same. BUT BUT BUT the productivity of the motor may change if the turbo would(for example) be cooled to optimal temp, and spin more freely(because the bearings are more properly lubricated,) allowing faster spooling and potentially more boost for a longer period of time(throuougt RPM range!)
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Maverick7531 is offline   Reply With Quote