nathan.d.kim
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 157161
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2007 OBP STI
black

Seth,

Glad to have found this thread. =P Thanks for volunteering to help others.

I have a 2007 STI with the following engine upgrades:
- Cobb downpipe and catted TBE
- Custom tuning on a Mustang Dyno using Cobb AP2
- Rallispec short block with stock-sized forged Wiseco pistons (approx. 2k miles)
- intake snorkel delete

Minimal modifications, really, besides the new shortblock. I had a cracked ringland at 46k miles and replaced the SB rather than rebuilding the old block. It has been great since.

I never considered getting a CAI because I knew it was not that much bang for the buck. I was also advised that the stock STI intake is very similar to a CAI in design, especially with the silencer ("snorkel") delete. It draws air from the front grill, takes it through the fender, and feeds it through the MAF.

This past weekend, I had a chance to ride in my friend's '10 STI with an AEM CAI - very nice looking with the wrinkled red coating. Anyway, I don't know if the CAI made it run THAT much faster than stock, but... as stupid as it sounds... it sure sounded great. I'm just not sure if the performance increase is really great enough to put down some more funds.

My questions:
(1) What kinds of gains have you seen with just a CAI added to a DP+TBE setup?
(2) Do YOU think it's worth the money to do just the CAI with a follow-up tune (total price of $480)?
(3) If not, what other relatively low-cost mods do you recommend to do at the same time as the CAI in order to maximize the cost of a follow-up tuning session?
(4) If not going to a CAI at all, what other mods do you think are better at this point based on the mods I've listed above?

Thanks in advance!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
nathan.d.kim is offline   Reply With Quote