Old 05-06-2010, 02:55 AM   #20
Back Road Runner
Scooby Guru

Member#: 60082
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2004 Forester STI
Silver

Yeah, he's not bad. He sort of does this kind of stuff for a living. The only thing I really see him doing is the turn in given the oversteer happy car, but I assume he's rather used to rotating cars into corners and has a preference towards that given is drifting background. I'm sure he's pretty comfortable fiddling around the limit like that, although he might like the car to function a little more predictably. Hopefully the drivetrain change will get things rocking. I really want to see some future videos of you guys decimating the competition.

It's an excellent driver choice on your part, even great PR too given is clout and character.

I find drifting techniques to be a very valuable tool set for a driver who desires to function competently on both sides of the grip limit. I came into drifting as a very casual hobby, but it has taught me so much. To not understand one side is potential for disaster or at the very least a limitation that makes you slow.

On Cadillac's comment, I'm all for smooth or maybe a better term precise or deliberate. I love the idea of minimalistic inputs to get the job done. It's something I strive for both in how I drive and how I set up my car for my own casual sport use, although this time attack stuff is well beyond my personal scope. To actually be smooth requires the road surface to be smooth and unchanging and for the car to be completely stable and linear in behavior. The precision needs to be there too. You wouldn't exactly take a showroom stock WRX and operate it with super smooth inputs. It simply won't react through a large portion of the motion range due to all the soft parts. In fact, you need to be pretty aggressive with the car to make it work quickly. Once the car is set up to be precise, inputs need to be precise. Once you toss any car on a varied surface, inputs become just as varied to keep that same car along a precise line. A blatant example would be comparing how one drives a F1 car vs. a WRC on their respective road surfaces. Schumacher was touted for being incredibly smooth with his inputs. You wouldn't see Loeb drive remotely close to the same way although he would be just as precise with his car. You do the inputs you need to do to put the car exactly where you want it. The speed and breadth of these inputs depends upon what's needed to get the job done. Deliberate is a better term than smooth, although smoothness in motion is important as you're still managing tire grip and chassis movements. Even if you're sawing at the wheel, the actions are done with specific precision and intent.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Back Road Runner is offline   Reply With Quote