View Single Post
Old 05-13-2010, 12:40 AM   #100
journey
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 74555
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Wagon-Stg 3
San Remo Red

Default How do you get away with illegal tinting?

Thanks for all the pictures. This has been a helpful thread.

I see many of the recommendations on going with tint that is darker than the legal limit. In NC, checking the tint is part of the yearly inspection, when they check the emissions as well. I found out the hardway, when I purchased a van from Florida--our van failed the NC state state inspection as the front windows were too dark. We had to strip the tint from the front windows and have the vehicle reinspected. Mind you, I felt it was too dark for driving at night or if it was raining very heavily.

Do most states not check the tint during yearly inspections? Or, do I need to even ask how you are able to get away with the darker tints (wink, wink, nudge, nudge, ...).

In NC, passenger vehicles (including wagons that are classified as passenger vehicles) are limited to 35% all around (0 tint allowed on frt windshield)--SUV's, vans, etc. have the 35% limit on front windows, but there are no restrictions on all 'back' windows. This is one time when I wish my WRX wagon was classified as an SUV as I would like to have the rear windows at 15%-20%.

Mind you, with the advent of the ceramic tints, it makes the excuse that you are attempting to reduce heat a non-issue, albeit, you pay for it. For all 7 windows in my wagon:
- basic tint is $250 (limited warrantee (1-3 yrs??)
- life-time warrantee tint is $300
- ceramic tint (life-time warrantee) is $350

I haven't asked about the strip across the window shield or having my sunroof tinted... Mind you, this person has a strong reputation in our area (e.g., he does the tinting for the local Infiniti dealership).
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
journey is offline   Reply With Quote