Old 06-02-2010, 07:14 AM   #34
Jack
Add Lightness

Member#: 13699
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2007 Lotus Elise
(From General)

Dave, you hang around with me too much. Somehow my words were absorbed into yoar head.

I will comment on the "if you spend money on wheels and tires, you will spend money on brakes". I have 4 sets of wheels/tires for my LGT. I don't do the gazillion track days that I used to, so have nothing upgraded in the braking system besides using Hawk HPS rear pads. Since my racecar has been sold, I do have to drive differently on the track with my car, but that's part of track driving. When the fluid starts to boil, I "NASCAR" brake. Early brake, lighter application so heat has extra time to dissipate during the braking event. In stock classes, caliper changes and rotor size increases are prohibited. An appropriate track pad can get you through a track day along with a good sense of how the brakes are doing while out there driving. Yes, I do use $3/L fluid on the street and $40/L fluid on the track. Back in the olden days (defined as before I had a dedicated track car), I used brake ducts temporarily attached during practices. I'd cut the zip ties holding them in place before the time trial to be legal for competition.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote