Old 06-02-2010, 10:37 AM   #35
Davenow
Scooby Guru

Member#: 23676
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevosnowsti View Post
While I completely agree with everything your saying, and tires/pads have alot to do with stopping distance, if you track your car and have significantly more horsepower than stock, wouldn't it make sense to have better performing brakes since you will be reaching higher speeds?
If you track it. 90% of people on nasioc dont and wont. Heck man if you drive a stock RS and track it, you should upgrade the brakes in one way or another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unabomber View Post
Unabomber says I agree with this post 1000% and I think it's the greatest post of 2010 so far. Mind you, I learned nothing I didn't already know, but it's a terrific idea to put the "common knowledge" into writing for those that don't know. I'm also a fan of ghetto brake fluid and think that anyone that has stainless steel brake lines is a moron.

<-----has stainless steel lines, but they were a gift and I noticed zero improvement one way or the other.
I disagree on the lines, but I do know where you are coming from. I have heard a lot of people say they didnt notice anything from lines. IMO people expect too much from lines generally. But every car I have done them on, I have noticed a distinct difference in pedal feel. Not when I first pull out of the garage, but a little while later when I am not thinking about it, Ill come up to a stop sign and all the sudden I am like "hey, my pedal feels more solid" That in itself, to me is proof that the difference is small. But add a few small differences up and you get a large difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIQUIDSK8S View Post
With lines you have the pedal feel like you said, but also extra protection from damage. I fell victim to a stock line coming loose while on the track, rubbing on the rim and slicing open......... the line popped in a 130+ brake zone.........luckily it only caused immediate failure for one of the front cailpers and not both. The steel lines would have held up better to this mishap and I would have noticed the problem at the end of the session rather then on track heh.

Apart from that spot on

There is a flip side to that mindset.

A lot of track guys swear against stainless lines because you cant see a line that is about to fail. It may be corroded or cracking internally and you wont know about it till the inner line pops, and on the track( well, anywhere), that can have pretty serious consequences. As for the line rubbing, Not to break your balls but I would think that a line in a situation where it could get caught up or rub like that would have been caught by you when you looked your car over before getting it out on the track
*note* I am aware that it may have been fine before and something happened on the track to move it over somehow.

I also know a lot of track guys that swear by stainless lines, but also swear by replacing them every year, for the exact reason that you cant see what condition the inner line is in. And for the short money that a set of lines costs, its worth the piece of mind.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Davenow is offline   Reply With Quote