Old 06-29-2010, 03:37 PM   #6
amigabill
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 144210
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2007 STI
Urban Gray Metallic

I'd like to know a little more about the brakes that Subaru put on my 07 STI. I've read the article about how to choose different brake pad materials, but I don't know what material Subaru put on my car at the factory. I haven't found talk about that yet here. What material are the Subaru stock pads, as discussed on the Essex article as linked to in this thread. All I ever hear about the STI is that it has "Brembo brakes", which I'm beginning to think may just refer to calipers, not pads, but I don't really know better.

Last week I was in for my regularly scheduled oil change and the dealer says I need new rotors and pads. I'm at 41K miles, and a relatively mild everyday driver, doesn't seem like I'd have worn things down to a complete brake job. I don't hear any terrible noises during braking, nor are there any brake warning lights yelling at me.

But if they really do need replaced, I'm given a choice between two options, first is all Subaru original parts for about $1400, and the second is Hawk pads and whatever rotors for about $700. Are the Subaru parts worth about double the aftermarket kit?
I don't know which Hawk pads exactly this refers to, only the brand name.
I'd like to do an autocross here and there if I ever have time for it, but so far this car is a daily driver and little if anything else, so I don't need a super performance loud brake set, but if that's cheaper than a low-end but still expensive street pad from Subaru then why not.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
amigabill is offline   Reply With Quote