Old 09-24-2010, 05:25 AM   #55
Bohemian_Funk
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 171218
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
1999 Impreza 2.5RS
"Silverthorn Metallic"

Yeah, contrary to popular belief, if you actually intend to get a little sideways, you actually want a goodly amount of the weight to be in the front (not too extreme of course), as you want as much front end grip as possible. Now, if you're talking road-race (as opposed to drifting), THEN you might want closer to a 50/50 weight distribution (actually in real racing cars it's closer to 40/60 or 35/65, but if you want to know why, just look up "Automobile handling" in wikipedia or something). F/R weight balance doesn't really come into play nearly as much as suspension set up until you've actually got your suspension set up. You'll find that Subaru's don't really understeer because they're front heavy as much as that they are set up that way from the factory. If they wanted them to be as sharp and stiff as an EVO they would have, regardless of weight distribution. Now what IS pretty important as far as "weight distribution" is concerned is keeping weight between the wheels; overhang (not unlike unsprung weight) is important regardless of your suspension set up.

Oh man, it just occurred to me that an EZ30R or an EG33 would be exceptionally bad ass in this build. Not to mention an EG33 would be pretty cheap! Certainly cheaper (to buy, not to build) than an EJ205 from a WRX, and with a way better torque curve. Wouldn't be as light though (probably a good 100 pounds heavier, but I'm not sure) . I'd still do it though

~ Scott
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Bohemian_Funk is offline   Reply With Quote