Old 09-26-2010, 08:06 AM   #8
Vlad
Scooby Guru

Member#: 46135
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
02 WRX
Sti V9 Spec C

Yes, Prodrive had a kit, with HID, for offroad use.

I've read some more about these bugeye HID, and the pattern.

The cuttoffs on these are not plates but round shields.
It seems that any plate/shield has to be a precision unit, manufactured to a small tollerance.

It seems that 04+ Sti and other DOT approved HID have the cuttoff pattern stepped, a change from the pattern mandated by the DOT for halogens, in US.

On the forum it seems that the EDM shields are difficult to find. Someone on the forum CNC-ed symmetrical shields, that would be EDM-like, but never set up to manufacture them.

Some just flatten the rim of these shields, obtaining some lighting to the right side, where the JDM would be dark, but not solving the oncoming traffic problem.

Self leveling, or at least manual leveling, seems to be important with not blinding incoming traffic, that's why they installed this on the Sti. I often wondered why such an "extravagant option" on a car that in '04 was presented without stereo.

I wonder if in Europe it's as simple as walking into a Subaru dealership and just ordering the shields, being that you have UK guys moving to the Continent and it's mandated that they have to change pattern. The dealer should accomodate, I would think.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote