View Single Post
Old 09-29-2010, 02:05 PM   #42
Scooby Guru
Member#: 120273
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Now with 100% more Spec-C

Does anyone on here have any experience with electroplating of bolts and whatnot?

I've been calling around and found a few places local in Arizona. One that I called, Collins Metal Finishing, has a $65 minimum charge for off-the-street jobs, but said that a bucket of bolts off a car would be no problem. He said that as long as they are free of paint and not terribly rusty, they would turn out great. If they are very rusty, he said they can acid wash the rust off.

Anyway, I was thinking about bringing them all the bolts off the suspension on the car and having them plate them. Most of the bolts on the underside of the car are crusty and torn up from my brief time in MI. Also, all the bolts that came with the stuff I've bought from other states are pretty bad. I've priced it out and its WAY cheaper than buying new bolts. Especially if I can work them down on price.

The other, cheaper alternative is to put them in a vibratory deburring/polishing bowl and let them run with some corn cob or walnut media. I think my grandfather has one of these machines I could use. They commonly use them for polishing bullet shells during the reloading process.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
kpluiten is online now   Reply With Quote