Old 10-20-2010, 12:44 AM   #73
kpluiten
Scooby Guru

Member#: 120273
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
06 WRBWRXWGN
Now with 100% more Spec-C

Well dang. I was attempting to perform what's known as the "Free caster mod" involving the aluminum front control arms tonight and a bolt snapped off in the arm.

For those that are curious, the mod involves adding a spacer between the arm and the pivot bolt that goes in the rear bushing (the ALK bushing). It can be seen here:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1900666

(photo credit to JDwhiteWRX)

I don't have time to mess around with this non-sense so it's off to the machine shop tomorrow. While they are at it, they can push the front control arm bushings out too so that the powder coater can do his thing. One thing is clear, stay away from cars that have seen salt. The galvanic corrosion between the steel bolt and the aluminum arm was crazy and most likely responsible for the frozen bolt... just like the Brembos... and hubs from the donor car.

I will be replacing the front control arm bushing with another stock unit. Why you ask? Because there is no Group-N replacement. There is hardly any rubber in that bushing any way so the firmer group-N bushing would have little impact. There are aftermarket units available too, but they are all polyurethane and I don't know how much I trust that material in this application. From what I have read, the Poly-Pro/Energy Suspension units tend to break very quickly (3000 miles or less in some cases) and the whiteline units just look like a royal pain in the ass to install. From what I have read, the whiteline units are 37mm in diameter and the control arm is 36mm in diameter. That is one hell of a pressfit and many said it's damn near impossible even with heating the arm and freezing the bushing. I really think that the OEM unit will be fine and they are cheap.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by kpluiten; 10-20-2010 at 12:50 AM.
kpluiten is offline   Reply With Quote