Old 10-20-2010, 01:15 AM   #74
kpluiten
Scooby Guru

Member#: 120273
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
06 WRBWRXWGN
Now with 100% more Spec-C

I have also made progress on the overhaul of the suspension components.

Below is a 2005 STi subframe. The advantage to this subframe is that the 2005 STi (along with the 2004 STi) were the only GD's to have a rear subframe without rubber isolated bushings. This means it has a more connected feel right out of the box and does not need subframe lock bolts or anything like that. I prefer it to running lock bolts because it is solid in all four corners rather than just to middle points.

This unit had a bit of rust around the edges, but nothing deep or pitted. Certainly nothing that was of any concern to me. I wirebrushed off all the rusty spots and spots with loose paint. It was then coated with VHT Epoxy paint. Very nice paint and it appears to be as tough as nails after it cures (about 5 days).

Here is the differential carrier after being thoroughly cleaned, wire brushed, and coated with the VHT Epoxy paint. The finish is better than I was expecting. It's not as nice as powder coating, but for it's purpose and location, this is just fine; it certainly looks WAY better than new. You can see the trailing arms finished behind it as well.

* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
kpluiten is offline   Reply With Quote