Old 01-21-2003, 03:20 PM   #55
AZScoobie
Scooby Guru

Member#: 8785
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
02 [email protected]
netcom.com

Yes. That is because back then I did not store race fuel in my garage so I was recalling my actual scenario where I would reset, then drive to the track and then add the race fuel. I dont think adding the race fuel before the reset would cause any different effects. I think the act of running the the Reset ECu at low boost causes the same IG multiplier to go up just the same as Shiv is suggesting in his way. Mainly, the lack of knock because of the lack of boost allows the ecu to increase that multiplier. If I have time this week I can test that theory out.

To find more instances of where I suggested this method of ecu reset simply search more. I estimate I posted that about 10 times. As a result many people have used this tactic to gain a few MPH and a tenth or two at the strip and many of thanked me afterword. I doubt I am the first one to use this trick. I did it mainly because of my vast experience with the bosch Motronic ME5 and Me7 ECU's. Peak power and peak advance is obtained on a freshly reset ECU in the Bosch systems. I tried this and found the Denso unit to reduce power output. Back then we (I) had no delta dash and I only had theory's that where posted on these forums. One such theory was that the ECU advances slowly and in steps over a time period after the reset. It made sense to me to reduce boost as to obtain the most advance I could. Then turn up the boost using race fuel. it worked.

CT

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon [in CT]
The low- and high-octane ignition tables may, indeed by indexed by "Load" and not MAP and "Load" may be based, in part, on MAF. I guess the point is that "Octane Learning Mode" is entered based on MAP, not MAF.

And I could only find one instance where you publicly recommended something along the lines of "Add race fuel, Reset ECU, Turn boost down to 8psi, Drive to track, turn boost up" and it was different in one very important aspect. The post I found was http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...81#post2684681 and you said there:The significant difference, of course, is that you recommended adding the race fuel after the ECU had learned the octane of some other lower-octane fuel. But maybe that was a typo.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
AZScoobie is offline   Reply With Quote