I have read about being able to change the headlights to a H9 bulb with just simply removing a tab in the H9 socket. Some people did it. Others have not because they were worried about their wires or head lights getting to warm. I did a 10min bench mark test without the car running. That way it would show the temps before and after the test.
First I had to file down the tab in the socket.
This is how it looked.
I used these files to work down the tab. It took me about 10min per socket.
After being done how it should look.
This is how my lights look with the OEM bulbs.
This is the temperatures of the wires and socket before I turned on the head lights. The socket is the top temp the bottom is the wire.
This is where I had the probes setup.
As you can see the temps went up around the socket. The wire increased just a little more.
After installing the new bulbs and running them for 10min also you can see the housing temps are only 3deg more. The wire temp is just a little lower.
This is the new view.
I took a test drive and I could tell the difference. I am very happy with this mod. For $30 I know I have long lasting bulbs and a lot higher output.
I hope this helps anyone with this mod if they are worried about over heating their wires or housing.