I purchased the Synic Motorsports header which is equal lenght, but not exactly for a twin-scroll set-up.
With the header installed on the engine, you can see the engine mounts that I am utilizing for the conversion. They are actually for a Vanagon conversion, but with a little modification they fit just fine.
Back to the header...the first order of business was chopping off the pipes right after the merge collectors...getting closer to a twin-scroll set-up.
The only problem was that when I cut off the pipes, I was faced with a failed attempt at properly building a header. The merge collectors were not the highest quality that I have seen.
Little bit of time with the die grinder and they look much more acceptable now...and I bet the flow better.
Ok, now with the header mounted you can see my thinking on the positioning of the turbo.
With the engine back in the car and everyone suspended with straps, you can see how the turbo will fit just perfectly in the factory recessed firewall location.
To get the turbo in the correct orientation, I had to re-clock the compressor side. To do this, I took off the small retaining bolts/clips, applied a little heat and some motivation from a mallet and it popped right off.