View Single Post
Old 12-14-2010, 04:15 PM   #261
mekilljoydammit
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 258151
Chapter/Region: MWSOC

Okay, came across this while searching for something else, but I thought I'd chip in. It kind of reminds me of stuff from road racing, misconceptions thereof, and so on. So here goes.

I'm an engineer, biased heavily towards motorsports, and my dad and I run an RX-7 built to SCCA's E-Production class. For reference, E-Prod is a fairly modified class; 240-280 crank HP or so widebodied cars on dedicated racing slicks. Not as much straight line as Subie guys are used to thinking of, but more cornering and braking loads than all but the top time attack guys are going to see. Winner of the runoffs cut a 2:28 lap at Road America this year... well, it's an SCCA class, results are posted online if you want to compare your local track. Now, we're amateur level, not going to claim otherwise, but are friends with the guy who ended up 5th at the national championship runoffs this year, and the guy who finished 3rd at the June Sprints this year.

E-Production rules require stock calipers and rotors, aside from some special cases. For the cars in the class, this is almost always a cast iron, single piston floating caliper.

It's going to take some serious street driving to be harder on the brakes than that.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
mekilljoydammit is offline   Reply With Quote