View Single Post
Old 12-25-2010, 05:10 PM   #265
Davenow
Scooby Guru

Member#: 23676
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:

Oh yeah durability, I have no data but I would definitely assume that larger pads would last longer and hold up to track abuse better.

But keep in mind that neither of those things is what this thread is about.

At 140, someone say pulls into your lane and you have to slam on the brakes, yes, 100% the OEM brakes will perform dead balls on like a $2500 big brake kit. The determining factor of what happens will be the grip the tires have.

Do that a couple times back to back, and the story changes as the heat would fade the OEM brakes into uselessness. But if you are doing that back to back on the street, wtf are you doing?

I don't know if I brought this up (or if anyone else has) that stickier tires (be it wider or softer rubber or both) will bring heat fade in earlier, because you can brake harder without locking the tires. Which means you would then need brakes that can handle heat a bit better. That could be pads only, or pads/fluid, all the way up to everything. Depending on how severe the problem is. But that, again, is assuming repeated hard braking like at a track event or a long "canyon run" type situation. Once again, that isn't what this thread is about.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Davenow is offline   Reply With Quote