Scooby Guru

Member#: 2184
Vehicle:
2005 Legacy GT wagon
Platinum Silver Metallic

Default Re: Is it only Rota's?

Quote:
Originally posted by edubb11
I also recall seeing Subaru's rally car running part of a race with just the spokes of a right rear Prodrive P1 wheel on the car, and that was it. I know that is more of an example of extreme usage, but it still failed to hold up to the use.
To clarify, that wheel was magnesium (strong, but brittle) and hit a boulder while the car was traveling at an insane rate of speed. Also, WRC equipment is, like Formula 1 kit, built to last the race distance. Anything more is excess. I don't know if that example holds water in this case.

Consumer Prodrive P1s are all but bulletproof. No breaks, no weird stuff, no nothing. There was a report of someone bending one after hitting a 6" deep pothole or some such. I've had mine on two different cars, through all sorts of potholes, etc.

Keep in mind also that you can break ANY wheel if you hit something hard enough! I think that what people are concerned about is the fact that the wheels in question failed without hitting anything, or seemingly suffering any extreme stresses (I don't consider auto-x extreme stress).

Having said all that, Rota Wheels' customer service is excellent, and should serve as an example for all manufacturers who sell products on this board, even if the ideal situation would be to not have any wheel failures, period.

Kevin
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by gtguy; 02-02-2003 at 10:26 AM.
gtguy is offline   Reply With Quote