Old 02-17-2011, 11:27 PM   #39
KWIL
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 40848
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2011 Impreza WRX
5-Door, DGM

This thread had some activity while I was working today!

To add to the conversation about protune versus OTS, everything said above is correct--to elaborate on why I went protune:

I read and debated for months on buying just the AP, getting a protune, or doing an open source etune. (see Unabomber's complete guide on tuning)

I decided on the protune mainly because I read a couple bad stories about AP OTS stage 1 maps gone wrong (knowing most forum horror stories are either not accurate, lacking full mod disclosure, or are simply just corner cases). Still, I was nervous about whether I needed to log and learn about knock tables, etc...and what good/bad logs look like.

Given Surgeline's reputation and their 1/2 off deal when you buy the AP from them, I paid a little extra to "set it and forget it." I'm new and lack confidence so my primary goal was a safe, trustworthy tune. I got the max power I could for my individual vehicle and don't have to worry that the map isn't lining up right somewhere.

OTS maps are supposed to be very conservative to work with all cars + variation and should be plenty safe. It was a peace of mind thing for me.

If I want to risk some safety for power, I have a 17.5psi map I can use. Surgeline advised not using it on 100+ deg days and using higher quality octane fuel if available.

The experience of getting your car strapped to the dyno was pretty sweet, I learned a lot from that process, too.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote