Old 03-13-2011, 07:46 PM   #82
innis2winnis
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 269259
Vehicle:
2011 WRX. 5-Dr Prem.
Dark Gray Metallic

Lightbulb

Okay, so it looks like this problem is pretty widespread. As many have stated, it is doubtful that Subaru is going to do anything for us ... it's our responsibility to be cautious, right ?

Unfortunately, just weeks after buying my new 2011 WRX, I was the victim of a front lip crack. With recurring issues noted in this thread, there was no way I was about to pay for a new bumper and paint job. Today, I decided to go DIY and try to prevent the crack from worsening.

I cut two small, flat strips of plastic to reinforce the cracked area on the back side of the bumper cover. It seems that just about flat, stiff plastic will work - Tupperware, side of a juice bottle, etc. Then, I covered the plastic strips with a nice layer of epoxy (I used Loctite 5 minute plastic epoxy). I crawled under the car, aligned the damaged area and glued my reinforcement strips to the backside of the bumper cover. I was careful to ensure the strips were flush throughout their entire surface areas and that the entire crack was supported. Lastly, in an effort to stop spidering, I put a very small amount of the remaining epoxy on the front side of the crack.

Hopefully this $6 repair helps somebody out there ... and hopefully my handiwork holds. A few hours after drying, it seems fantastic . The crack is now barely noticeable and the repaired area feels rock-solid. Pictures are below ... unfortunately I don't have any 'before' photos, but as you can imagine, it looked worse before.

Epoxyed area (taken before epoxy hardened):

Damaged area, after:

Damaged area, another angle:
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by innis2winnis; 03-14-2011 at 10:52 AM.
innis2winnis is offline   Reply With Quote