Scooby Guru

Member#: 2272
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2013 Subaru 599 :P
Galaxy Blue Sexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunkman View Post
gen 1 (96-99) OB struts allow for taller tires than gen 1 (98-02) FOR struts. The lower spring perch on those FOR struts is a little lower/closer to the hub, allowing for the taller forester spring. BUT if you squeeze gen 1 FOR springs into gen 1 OB struts, you'll gain close to an inch more lift than using OB/Legacy springs in OB struts.

BUT, if you use (98-02) FOR springs in (96-99) OB struts, you need to use the upper spring perch for the forester springs in front, under the top hat. Those FOR spring coils get smaller whereas OB and legacy springs do not.
So basically, Gen 1 outback struts are better than gen 1 forester struts.

Most of this seems to apply to using with a Legacy (which I know you have experience with) but since 90-99 Legacies have somewhat-compatible suspension setups with Imprezas, this would apply depending on what struts you can get your hands on.
Quote:
Gen 2 FOR struts are best used as a complete assembly. Best to get some take-offs then they just bolt right up to most imprezas.
...and Gen 2 Forester struts are the best of the lot in terms of lift I'm assuming from your experience.

Currently it seems as though its easier to find Gen 2 forester struts than it is to find Gen 1 outback/forester struts, and they are usually in better shape if they are take offs.
Quote:
When I lifted a 93 IMP on 99 FOR struts, I had to use the IMp rear top hats as the early IMP top hat bolt spacing was smaller than the FOR and OB (later IMPs and WRXs are like the OBs and FORs)
Ya, definitely need to compile a list of tophats for this.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Kostamojen is offline   Reply With Quote