View Single Post
Old 07-05-2011, 06:59 PM   #42
WoodsWagon
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 180769
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
lots of junkers

One of my neighbors had a Datsun 720 4x4 that he beat the hell out of in his woods. They had just logged, so there wasn't really any trails, just slash and massive mudholes from the skidders.

I went out to help pull it out of one of the mudholes one weekend, and noticed that the farthest point forward on the truck was the hub of the fan. The radiator was literally wrapped around the front of the block. Both front control arms were bent back so the tires rubbed on the body, and the rest of the truck was absolutely demolished. Pulled it out of the hole and he fired it up and kept on truckin. They'd run it till it seized, sit around and drink some while it cooled down, and fire it up again. Other than shredding 4th and reverse in the trans, they couldn't kill it. It got used as a firewood truck for a while, and was still running when they sent it to the junkyard.

I keep finding parts of that truck in the middle of nowhere from their cross country expeditions.

Nissan Hardbodys would be good trucks if it wasn't for the frame rust. You can slip a sheet of 5/8" plywood between the bed and the cab and run bolts through with big washers to make it a unibody. It will hold the truck together for a good woods beating before the frame finally tears.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
WoodsWagon is offline   Reply With Quote