Rymantas
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 264225
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Sedan
WRB

Lightbulb Weird Knock Event during driving 2011 WRX

I've read around and heard that our knock sensors pick up some strange events (ambient noise in engine bay). I have been getting a knock event that was very consistent on the logs. They were always spaced equally apart while driving at highway speed (70 mph to be exact) with cruise control on. The events would happen every 45 seconds or so. I thought maybe I had bad gas at first but as I looked at my logs i began to see a pattern. The knock events always occurred when the AC compressor would kick on. So I tested this by making sure recirc was on, AC was off, and blower was off. I drove 100 miles with no knock. So then I drove another 100 miles (distance to work and home) with the AC on and it knocked every time the AC compressor came on.

I then tried forcing it to happen by randomly turning the AC on and off. It would actually trigger a knock event while moving 2 out of 3 times i would do this.

I will be going through the engine bay and checking to make sure everything with the AC system is snugged up. Has anyone else had occurrences like this?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Rymantas is offline   Reply With Quote