View Single Post
Old 08-21-2011, 09:10 PM   #18
FaastLegacy
Scooby Guru

Member#: 11671
Chapter/Region: SWIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaabaru View Post
I liked the Prowler as well. I also like the SSR. I think the design is good, execution and marketing were not. Much like the prowler, it was under powered. However, without an increase in price at all, they added the LS2 and got it just shy of 400 hp. They also added a 6-spd manual towards the end. There were choices that I didn't agree with. Folding hardtop, when they could have had a MUCH cheaper product. Also, when you dump the LS2/400hp, you'd think there would be a commercial about it. but no.
Despite having the LS2, the SSR still wasn't incredibly quick. Why spend $45k for an SSR with mediocre performance and no utility when you could spend the same amount on a 'vette that while not practical, still had much more performance than the SSR did?

The SSR was a lot like the Baja in that they both really didn't do anything well. The SSR wasn't fast, didn't handle well, had a useless "bed", could only seat two, etc. The Baja wasn't quick either, couldn't tow a heavy load, didn't have much payload capacity despite the bed, didn't have a 4WD system with a low range like a proper truck, etc.

The Prowler was a bit different, IMO. I believe that car could have stayed viable if it hadn't been priced out of its market. Like the SSR, it was expensive and still lacked performance although I think it could have ultimately been successful with a sane pricing strategy.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
FaastLegacy is online now   Reply With Quote