Scooby Newbie

Member#: 267225
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Limited 4DR
Satin White Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len View Post
When working properly, yes. But while it's fundamentally impossible to focus regular light source in a way that it will stay as a narrow beam over a long distance, (Liouville's theorem) high intensity laser is a serious hazard when left undiffused. Granted, it's not easy to imagine a scenario where the laser source would be exposed and still running, but it is at least an added safety concern.

EDIT: Also, I disagree with the idea that laser is the "logical" next step in automobile lighting technology. An ideal lighting for humans would be diffused white light, with full spectrum of visible light (although really you just need RGB) and little directionality. Laser is the EXACT OPPOSITE of what we would consider a natural light. I get that the auto headlamps cannot be fully natural due to the need to avoid blinding the oncoming traffic, but I fail to see how the least natural light source we have is the LOGICAL next step in this field, apart from the fact that the word laser sounds really cool in your PR material.

I'll repeat what I said earlier. Given that we have this concern about not blinding other cars, having a brighter beam likely requires an even sharper cutoff, a combination that makes it more difficult to see anything outside the zone of illumination. I'm not sure if this is really a good thing, and consequently I'm not convinced that brighter is always better.

If this is just about energy efficiency, then fine. Given the cost of laser, I find it hard to believe that this could be cost effective, but who knows.
Sorry, I should have clarified. My point was not that Lasers specifically are the next step. I simply meant that we are always improving things or trying something different that may work out to be better in the long run, etc. There is always an evolution going on. In this case, being as I haven't heard of any other crazy new lighting technology (except for "LEP" - Light Emitting Plasma), the laser is the next step, logical or not.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
MSMStannyl is offline   Reply With Quote