Old 09-16-2011, 03:57 PM   #22
CBXJ
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 265789
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Vehicle:
1997 o/bX2 & ImpzX2
RED, White, Blue Green

Default 1997 Legacy outback now powered with 97 JDM WRX.

Finally all put together and driving around.
Some points, in no particular order:
It took longer than I thought.
Wiring was a bit of a pain, even though I had Ritewire do a "merge" --I should have done it myself.-Get all the ECU pinouts PRIOR to buying the replacement engine, and get everything from the donor engine..
WOW it pulls way harder than I thought it would.
The stock legacy steering rack would not bolt to the 05 sti crossmember I bought, so I got an sti steering rack.. so, I had to use a combo of power steering hoses.
The clutch reservoir had to be cut down to make room for the intercooler.
With a little bit of custom plumbing I used the stock legacy radiator, and kept the stock turbo cooling reservoir, no overheating. (but I am in Canada).
The joint between the steering rack and steering column had to be made.
Everything works!.. A/C, cruise, and all that, the only thing I don’t have is OBD II.
HD clutch is a must.
Turbo flywheels and stock Leggy flywheels are not the same.
The engine bay is FULL.
I kept the stock downpipe and just had a shop do the rest in 3in pipe.. not to expensive but effective.
Did I mention---WOW it pulls way harder than I thought it would?
As long as you stay away from the giggle peddle a reasonable amount, the fuel mileage is not that much different than the stock 2.5 was.
I kept the stock boost control.
The pillar pod for a 93 chev fullsize truck fits this vintage of outback reasonably well, as long as you don’t mind doing a little cutting of the pillar pod.
That little hood scoop looks so much better when you know there is an intercooler under it .nobody expects anything from an old outback wagon... SURPRISE!!!
Legacy tie rods and STI tie rods are different.
Would I do it again?.. YES!! In a flash..
contact me if you have any questions.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by CBXJ; 09-16-2011 at 04:19 PM.
CBXJ is offline   Reply With Quote