Power6
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 72730
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2001 Lexus ES300,
2005 Outback XT

Hello SOA,

First off I am happy with my 2009 WRX and will likely buy Subaru again in the future. Although I have not had any problems with the AWD, I do believe the system is a bit archaic, even if the "symmetrical AWD" marketing is well established.

There is a simple solution. Add another mode to the VDC system. The VDC is excellent at controlling wheelspin and power transfer. However currently that action is coupled to engine power reduction , which limits the usefulness of the VDC when starting, for example in deep snow, in fact it will almost stall the car before you can get moving. Disabling VDC fixes this issue, but only relies on the LSD action of the viscous center diff, which is not always enough to get moving.

I propose a third "traction" mode (like the STI model has) where the VDC is used to provide limited-slip action without power-reduction. In this way the driver can control power while the VDC controls traction. The mode could be speed limited to below 15mph or so, to protect the brakes from overheating. I would imagine such a feature could be added at minimal cost to all Subaru models with VDC, and would firmly bolster the US Subaru image of superior AWD and "never getting stuck", which is how most customers judge AWD systems.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by Power6; 09-29-2011 at 12:19 PM.
Power6 is offline   Reply With Quote