Old 10-04-2011, 06:48 PM   #1
c4ss1n0va
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 281741
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX sedan
MBP

Default 02 WRX from the grave to the gravel! (MBP Sedan)

Sooo... i joined the forum back in the spring with some big plans and not much knowledge of what i was gettin myself into! since then i have moved from austin back to los angeles, and have had alot of time to dive into some research! A few months with my face pressed up against my laptop, meanwhile going broke buying parts. allow me to bring you up to speed on how i got to where im at.

THE SUBY

Bought the car a couple years into college when my accord EX coupe's transmission died on me (it was my little race car that wasn't and the repair was worth way more than the car at that point). The first time is saw my bugeye, i walked up from behind. spoiler-less and the previous owner had removed the SUBARU badging. 5mt, 13K, HKS turbo timer, PRISTINE condish! I had to have it!! In the first couple weeks had already taken it out to Beaumont Springs with a bunch of my MX buddies and gotten a teensy bit of air out in the dirt. That millisecond of 0g bit me like a shark and i was hooked!

the next week i made my first upgrades. At this point i was going off the suggestions of my motorhead buddy. Started of with a Hks 3112-ex005 carbon-ti exhaust, HKS flat flange ceramic coated downpipe, and a greddy type S blowoff. got a great deal on the set from a friend at a local performance shop.

A few Years, and a few X country Road trips later, i transferred to a school in Hollywood and commuted 60+ miles in LA traffic EVERYDAY. If you are unfamiliar with the situation, the number of incompetent drivers on the road increases exponentially with population. a couple fender benders definitely took their toll on my poor car. About a year into school the commute was killing me and my car, so i decided to move to LA, but the only place i could find only had street parking, and things went from bad to worse. a couple break ins left me down a drivers side window, a blue tooth headset, and my turbo timer. It seemed no matter how hard i tried to keep it nice, the world had other plans.

Finally, Labor Day Weekend 2008 i was on a road trip to norcal to hang out in Reno with some friends and pick my buddy up from Burning Man. i picked up a little honda rebel 250 which made getting around and parking in LA nice and easy, so i hadn't been driving my car much, and in the excitement of the holiday weekend, didn't think to give my car a pre trip once over, and proceeded to try to set a personal los angeles to sacramento record. Around bakersfield (spun bearing, Damaged crank shaft). the next 3 years were spent in my brothers garage in las vegas, disabled, stationary, sad... My brother was nice enough to store my car while i chased the music around. and we had bartered with a mechanic who was supposed to rebuild the motor in exchange for rent (he disassembled the motor, diagnosed the problem, then disappeared (with my downpipe, Boost Control Solenoid, and god knows what else).. i had started a band, moved to hawaii, played 6 nights a week for a year then moved to austin and did it again...The Band Eventually disbanded, but thats a whole other story, and a completely different forum...

I have pictures of all this next stuff but don't know how to upload them.. :/

Shes Been Neglected for far too long and now i finally have some time to give her some TLC!! I towed the her from veas to la mid august, when i moved back from austin. Earlier this year i had purchased a complete engine take out from a wrx in new england, with the hopes of just dropping it into my car, having it was operable while i rebuilt the old block, but as my research went further, cracking the block was way above my budget and experience. so what i have decided to do is use the block from the "new" engine, and refit it with my old PnP'd heads, and PnP'd Manifolds/tgv deletes.

i have the "new" engine on a stand, stripped to the block and heads. and taken some time and effort to clean the block.

my old heads have been stripped and cleaned (barrage of brake cleaner, a number of degreasers and a load of elbow grease.)

I've ordered a slew of parts, and gone broke in the process. (think i'll have to sell a few old stock parts to afford a tune here's the rundown

UPGRADES
~PnP: TB, IM, TGV delete, Exhaust collectors, hi flow cross and up pipes w/ black ceramic coating or heat barrier (Grimmspeed)
~Bellmouth 3" Downpipe (HKS) out getting black ceramic coated
~TD-05 16g w/ ported black Ceramic coated turbine housing (Blouch)
~BIG TMIC (fastmotorsports)
~STi Oilpan + oil tube and baffle
~Adjustable recirculating BPV (perrin)
~EBC solenoid (grimmspeed)
~Cobb Tuning AccessPort
~Adjustable Height+Damper Coilovers with front camber adjustment (megan racing) for Forester w/ wrx tophats. should let me sit at anywhere from -1" to +3" relative to stock WRX ride height. w/32 pt dampening adjustability
~adjustable rear trailer arms (project godspeed) to get that rear tire into the center of that wheel well at different ride heights.

I've also picked up some stock replacement wear parts.
~Timing belt Kit w/ pulleys and tensioner and water pump(Gates)
~Serpentine Belts (Gates)
~OEM Master Gasket Set (Subaru)
~oil cooler
~thermostat
~Radiator, Intercooler, and Ancillary Hose Sets (mishimoto)

there are a few parts left i still need to pick up. including clutch/flywheel/pressure plate, tires, spark plugs, and injectors. Still Doing Clutch Research (looking at Exedy, and there is a supplier not too far south from me). Waiting on tires until my suspension has been installed then i can go to a tire store and test fit a few to get the perfect size (basing off of the 215 65 16 Generals that seem to be pretty popular with the dirty crowd). also still researching injectors. (any feedback in any of these departments would be greatly appreciated!!)

I've also replaced my Yakima Q towers with Landing Pad 11s w control towers, mounted into threaded plates installed under the rain gutters. found on this thread (http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...4#post28246914)

If all goes according to plan this build should be done just in time for halloween! perfect for a zombie, frankensteined WRX which works out great because CobbTuningSoCal's dyno is down until the beginning of november. they havent started taking appointments yet but Hopefully i can time it just right to get it in for a tune right after i finish building.

This week i will be Port Matching My Heads, Cleaning/Resurfacing my Valves, cleaning faces of pistons in uncracked block, and resealing/re-gasketing anything applicable at this point.

Am I missing anything?!? I'm not tryin to be the fastest Suby on the block, i just wanna go wherever i want, and have a blast getting there! this is gunna be fun! 0-60 in 3.5..... years... wish me luck
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
c4ss1n0va is offline   Reply With Quote