Old 10-16-2011, 03:47 PM   #162
Freedog
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 293551
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Default Repair Description

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedog View Post
Going to just reinforce it with some epoxy and stiff backing inside the bumper to keep it from spreading. Has anyone had any problems with this fix holding over time?

Wanted to share the fix (we'll see if it lasts) that I used, and liked the result. I used the ACE Plastic Epoxy, this stuff is a cream color when cured, so be sure to wipe up excess well otherwise it'll look horrible. As for the backing/reinforcement, I grabbed a 5" black plastic putty knife and cut a strip off the blade, trimming it to fit on the topside of the lower bumper over the hole, a.k.a. the weak point. If you reach underneath the bumper and curl your hand around it you'll feel it's flat there, and a good place for reinforcement.

I sanded both the inside of the bumper and the side of the plastic backing that I was going to adhere, and made sure I had a few spring clamps ready. I began by **carefully** separating the bumper to expose the crack, and applied a small amount of epoxy inside the crack, then pressed it together to make the gap as seamless as possible. Next I put a thin coat on the sanded side of the plastic backing (a thin coat over the entire surface is all you need, otherwise it'll squeeze out and you'll have more of a mess to deal with.) Once I aligned the backing, I applied the clamps to keep it/the bumper in the correct position, and let this sit for 12 hours. Pulled the clamps off and gave it a solid tug, and it seems to have done the trick.

Hope that helps for anyone else with small(er) cracks in their lower bumper.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Freedog is offline   Reply With Quote