Old 10-19-2011, 03:33 PM   #61
Freedog
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 293551
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
DGM

After reading the entirety of this thread, and just out of curiosity, does anyone have info on what information is stored in the Subaru ECUs (i.e. starts/stops, run time, revs, speeds, gear shifts, etc.), and how long that data is stored for?

I'm just curious about this info since it always seems to be up to debate. Forgive my ignorance here as well, but if the ECU is reset with a battery disconnect as some people suggest to periodically "refresh" the ECU to match a driving style/location, then wouldn't that appear in the ECU data as well with no ill affects down the road? Basically, it appears to me that someone could drive their car like a bat out of hell, reset the ECU by means of a battery disconnect, then drive again for a few days, and when the dealership looked at the data, there would be no record of the abusive driving except for the noted ECU reset. Presumably, most people do change their batteries without the help of a dealership anyway, so there would be no service record of an ECU reset from that...
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Freedog is offline   Reply With Quote