Scooby Newbie

Member#: 235475
Chapter/Region: PRSIC
Vehicle:
2008 WRX
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobysnacks420 View Post
I like cianuro's full cutout of the reverse lights though, and the polished look
Thanks! The longest process was polishing them, which took about 2 hours, going little by little to make sure I didn't miss a spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celery GT-5 View Post
you guys have any good masking tips or is that all free hand?
I did mine freehand, but my tape was 2" wide. My recommendation would be to use 1/2 or 3/4 inch tape to draw the lines, then mask the center with the 2" one.

Also, when pulling the masking off, try doing it with a bit of an angle pulling away from the paint. For example, if you mask the reverse light, pull the masking towards the center of the taillight. If you do it towards the area that's painted, you might pull off the paint, or damage the lines.

To avoid having markings of where the masking was, apply 1-2 more coats of clear than the red (VHT or whatever), and even it out with 1000 grit wet.

I had a look at the OP's instructions, and he says he only applied 1 coat of clear. You won't be able to sand, or even polish with just 1 coat of clear. Make sure you give it 3 at least.

The Krylon Fusion Clear Coat is a bit of a scare... Notice my first pic has some white staining. The can says it will go in 24 hrs or less. In my experience, it won't, but sanding it will solve the issue, so don't worry about it.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
cianuro is offline   Reply With Quote