View Single Post
Old 10-29-2011, 04:29 PM   #26
RonW
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 103663
Vehicle:
1968 Porsche 912
STi v8 Spec-C conversion

Well first iteration of the crossmember sucked and located the motor lower than I wanted. I hate it when things don't go as planned

I had a eureka moment and decided to use the stock subaru crossmember. There happened to be an Outback at my local Pick N Pull with the motor already pulled and the steering rack gone. Basically just pulled the bolts holding it in and gave them the $19. got home and fired up the oxy-ace torch and trimmed it basically in 1/2 length wise and cut off the extra mounts for the steering rack and the front pick for the a arm. I had some 1-1/2" DOM tubing and some flat bar and mounted her right up. came out great. Now my wife is happy too cuz I'm such a dick when I don't get my way oh, and I've got nearly 4" clearance with the stock oil pain!

Worried that the stock motor mounts may be old and soft, I put in a pair of new N-group mounts for piece of mind.

Side note: some research yielded that the stock JDM oil pan very stout and better than the US version. Additionally, the oil pick in the JDM's are braced and not prone to the same cracks as the US version. Now back to the wiring...still

* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by RonW; 10-29-2011 at 04:36 PM.
RonW is offline   Reply With Quote