Jagular1785
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 194452
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
The Mr.
Wizard

^^^ Well said.

I drive a 97 OBS and the only 2 things I have ever had a complaint about in the braking system is 1) The ABS doubles your stopping distance and is too sensitive for my tastes and 2) The pedal is a bit mushy and yes, they do boost the crap out of these brakes.

For the ABS system, its a common complaint I've heard and the simplest answer is to install a switch to kill power if you are trying to threshold brake or are in sketchy conditions. No big deal.

For the pedal feel, there are tons of fixes to that, as OP has explained. For one, I've driven tons of trucks and cars that have a crapload worse pedal feel. Try the 89 dodge work truck I drove that you had to push 2/3s the way down to even begin to brake and try as I might, 2 foot stand braking couldn't lock the tires up. My stock OBS system would easily lock the wheels on all seasons. I haven't gone out and tested my rear disc swap yet, however if they do any better than the drums, a tasty combo of performance pads and mods will be plenty for anything I'll ever need from the brake system.

And while I also agree they use a lot of vacuum boosting, I put my booster lines on backwards and found that out quickly. But that being said, most manufacturers do the same thing nowadays and it shouldn't be a concern for even a mild track car. If it became an issue, you would be at the point that custom fitting brake systems will be within your ability and budget.

Long story short: I've had no issues with my brake system. If you are fading and boiling brake fluid, then you should upgrade your brakes. Stock systems are plenty for the streets and if you want to have more confident braking, tires are the answer.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Jagular1785 is offline   Reply With Quote