Figured I'd post a quick update to my build, as Jerry used to say, what a long strange trip its been....
Had bad block from junkyard motor that I purchased.
Also had recurring auto trans CEL.
As well as a bad loping idle.
Spent $100 on a used block, had to trade my old smoking crappy block as well, good riddance!
Spent about $240 on machine work on 'new' block; cylinder hone, checked and polished crank, clean and some other diagnostic stuff.
Built block with stock rings and acl coated main and rod bearings.
Have about 200 miles on new block, no smoke, no leakage of fluids, feels very STRONG.
I've made a committment to not exceed 4000 rpm for at least 500 miles with this new setup.
The plan is to drive it like a granny for 500 miles, drain oil and inspect it for metal bits, etc. We also plan to adjust valves at this stage if everything looks good.
We set them up on the loose side when we initially put the motor together. The smoking stuttering block had about 500 miles put on it, so the heads will have about a 1000 miles on them.
Overall its been a long tuf haul, but at the end of it, its worth it. The car feels great, even under 4k rpm. I've learned a lot, made some good friends and the car is beast.
On the horizon; blitz black on the bottom, stock green on the top, rs bumper, etc.
Its been fun and I'm not finished.