View Single Post
Old 11-30-2011, 01:14 PM   #11
John@Nameless
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (0)

Member#: 273261

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach9734 View Post
Not true. My experience: I bought an ebay knock off catback for my 05 a long time ago. It was advertized as 304SS. Everything was 304 BUT a 1-2 foot section from the resonator to the flange. Said section was covered in rust in a couple years.

I bought a knock off Large TMIC for the same car. The y-pipe to turbo hose was too big around to be air tight on the turbo, even with big time clamps. It was boost leak city. I was unable to find a y-pipe replacement that fit the TMIC.

Knock off usually means this... You will save money for the moment and most likely have to fix something. You may have to throw it away.

I bought the Nameless Axleback too. I'm happy. It has the classic boxer rumble on the gas, but it's quiet at normal temp idle and cruising. No more headaches after long trips. I did some math too. If exhaust flow is relative to whp gains... If people are really getting 270-280whp protuned OEM equipment on a high reading dyno... I think it will have enough flow for 300whp combined with the Nameless midpipe and a DP. The nameless axleback gives about 12% more flow than OEM. Also, 270whp + 12% is about 300whp. Valid statement?

Notes: 2011 WRX Sedan OEM axleback is 1.75" pipe x 2. Nameless is 2" x 2. Area of a circle is Pi x radius squared.
One thing I think you forgot is the baffled mufflers that the stock system has. those provide some fantastic restriction to the system and make you 12% number pretty low compared to reality. We haven't done any real world testing but here is a comparison of a 3" pipe to our dual 2" pipes:

3" OD tube = ~7.0685775
2" OD tube = ~3.14159

So it follows that 2 * 3.14159 = 6.28318

Thus

7.0685775 - 6.28318 = 0.7853975 of difference in size of the axlebacks to a straight 3" pipe. This is 89% of the total volume of a 3" pipe. If you assume the exhaust is cooling as it travels from the turbo outlet to the tailpipe, the pipes are almost perfectly sized to flow the same as a 3" pipe. (Cooler air is more dense than hot air so the same amount of cool exhaust will fit down a smaller tube than the hot exhaust did)

The point I am trying to make is that the axleback should be able to support as much power (possibly more since the pipe is sized correctly to avoid any strange turbulence) as a straight 3" exhaust.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
John@Nameless is offline   Reply With Quote