NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 91212
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2011 WRX 5DR
Satin White Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by whis9 View Post
Seems like there are alot of issues with this kit. Ready to order my kit for my 2.5i, is it worth it?
It is NOT a simple plug-and-play install, in the basic sense.

While a kit like the DDM kit is easier to install (and with a little work, gives equal perceived results, IMO), the TRS kit is a more "proper" upgrade.

That said, you have to be prepared to do the following:

Remove bumper cover
Remove headlights
"Bake" the headlights apart
Install the retrofit hardware
Install the relay harness (I don't know how people find this difficult, but people are constantly asking how to do it. It is STUPID simple.
Tap into OEM wiring (particularly for the bi-xenon part of the upgrade, which is the real benefit to the TRS kit)
Spend SIGNIFICANT time aiming this kit to get it right

On top of that, you have time to re-install (physically) all of the OEM hardware.

With a "real" retrofit, you have to be willing to put in the time needed to get the projectors properly oriented. With the TRS retroquik kit, you get close right out of the box, but you still need to tweak it. In a retrofit without the TRS brackets, you might have a significant amout of time invested in even the rough orientation of the projectors.

My setup is fine now. I actually had (have, technically) it up for sale, but when it did not sell at first, I spent more time aiming it, hooking up the bixenon, reaiming, rereaiming...you get the point. Now I have the aim about 95% where I want it (still need to horizontal shift my passenger light by about 5*) and the bixenon function is really awesome.

All that being said, while I love the bixenon illumination, I rarely had to use high beams with my old (properly-aimed) DDM PnP kit. With the TRS kit, I am always switching them on.

You have to decide where the time and money investment is worth the upgrade. Coming from OEM halogen, it is a huge upgrade. From a properly-aimed PnP kit, it may not be much of an upgrade.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
phenryiv1 is offline   Reply With Quote