View Single Post
Old 03-29-2003, 01:08 PM   #7
Devlin
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 33065

@Benjamin German insurance premiums are not comparable to US premiums.

@ellisnc Good point! Moreover, the US emission are stricter...which may make it easier to get a German TÜV approval.

By the way...today I went to a German Subaru dealer and looked at a silver WRX with gunmetal wheels. It looked much better than expected. Cute and compact and simply great. The momo steering wheel was also very nice. Unfortunately the German WRX has only 225 hp and costs 30,000 bucks. The dealer did not have an STi.

Next to the dealer is Subaru Germany. Behind a fence I discovered a blue STi MY03 (European version with 265 hp) and gold wheels (but no BBS wheels). Obviously it was a private car of one of Subaru's employees. I had a close look at it and ... hmm...I was a little bit shocked. The huge prodrive wing was so ... HUGE! And the hoodscoop. Well, frankly speaking, it was just ugly. In particular, there was a small gap between the roof and the scoop which made the scoop looking like attached and not homogeneous fitted into the hood.

On the other hand, the smaller scoop of the WRX and the missing prodrive wing made the entire car looking perrfectly right. In reality, also the color (silver /w gunmetal wheels) of the WRX looked much better than the color of the STi (blue/gold). There was also an STi MY02 with bugeyes (and a smaller scoop). It did not look that bad...at least better than the MY03 STi.

I will still purchase an STi...simply because it's a much better car. But I will figure out whether it is possible to change the scoop. A German dealer called Allrad Daewel offers tuned STi with 330 hp. This may be an option if I cannot get a USDM STi (or a Japanese one).

Cheers,

Devlin
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.