View Single Post
Old 01-22-2012, 12:16 AM   #3
lodown1
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 200596
Vehicle:
98 Forester 3.0R

Now for the rear end issues. How to fit the sti hubs with the standard r160 rear differential. Well subaru makes one axle that does the job. The SVX came with the r160 rear diff, and has the large STI spline, they are about 20mm longer as well. Since my forester is the s model I thought it came with the LSD standard.

Come to find out the 98 did not have LSD, and i ended up getting a SVX rear axle as well. Which was the only diff that would actually fit the axles as they have an inner spline that engaged the LSD, again I seemed to misplace the pics I took of it. But here are some from the web that show the issue

Of course fitting the SVX rear LSD required opening up the diff case and swapping the ring gears from my forester diff to the SVx in order to keep my 4.11 gearing.

Removing the bearings from the diff was a pain. And then the forester case needs to be enlarged inside to get the LSD in it. shinny parts of the photo are where I ground off material.

The diff issues added 2 weeks of time to the swap mostly searching and waiting for the right diff. With that done i could complete the rear end suspension.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
lodown1 is offline   Reply With Quote