NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 25952
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
1995 Impreza Coupe
w/ "Extras" :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium Tuning View Post
This is exactly my view on the matter. The ONLY viable benefit I see from having to rev that high is to extend the gear range. Aside from that the larger displacement and less over square engine wins in every other category.

Maybe I'm missing something though.

-- Ed
That first 2.34 Dyno graph was my break in tune. The engine essentially had about an hour of run time on it at this point, which is why It was only ran to 7500 rpms. It was utilizing the stock ECU and Speed Density via cobb AP. (This was done back in early august). However, the two graphs are not necessarily apples to apples comparison. I changed a number of things between the two engines.

The 2.34 has larger lift cams, a bigger exhaust housing (0.95 vs 0.85), and adjustable exhaust cam gears.

I did this engine because I wanted to try something new. It didn't cost me any extra to go this route than it would have cost me to go with a 2.5L setup. I do know of one local 2.5L engine that runs to 9k routinely at the drag strip, and he's been using the same engine for 2 seasons now I believe without any issues. He runs low to mid 9's pretty consistently with an almost identical setup to mine.

Back in November I had the chance to get the car back on the dyno. I changed the ID1000's out for a set of ID2000's and E85. I made some adjustments to the exhaust cam timing. I spooled 700 rpms earlier and gained 20-30wheel hp and 20-50 ft lbs of tq at the same 7500 rpm redline (As welll as over the entire rev range) and the same boost.

Hopefully on Feb 4th I will have it back on the dyno and run some real boost through it.

Here's the video from the very first time with a 2.5L... The car spun a rod bearing on the dyno about 15 minutes after this which is the whole reason I had to build an entirely new engine.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by wrx_driver_2002; 01-23-2012 at 11:58 PM.
wrx_driver_2002 is offline   Reply With Quote