Scooby Newbie

Member#: 271408
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
DGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesthetect View Post
despite its much lower price point, for me the brz sti really needs to compete with the cayman for thrills and chills. its kind of down to those 2 and i really just want the one that i am simply going to enjoy driving more, regardless of price or stigma. and i do think losing a large amount of customers in similar positions will be the main thing to hurt brz sales. but to say subaru should have made a 350 hp lexus coupe instead of this is not a part of the same foundation.

in reflecting on this continued 'underpowered'/'drivers car'/'you dont get it' back and forth nonesense, i guess it really comes down to one thing for the person considering this cars market - are you more concerned with weight or power? will you have your new subaru coupe ala elise or ala C6 vette?

im here for the former.
I probably should clarify that I do own a 2006 Lotus Exige, and I was looking for similar styling cues for the interior. Basically no nonsense and quality materials reflective of a sporty car mindful of its diet. We don't need all the extra weight and dazzle an IS350 or IS-F's interior has to have a quality, clean interior.

I spot on agree that the BRZ STI should be competing with cars such as the Cayman (Cayman R in my opinion). It certainly boils down to which one will be more fun to drive.

In regards to your comment about elise vs C6 vette:

My model year Exige came from the factory with 190 crank HP and approximately 2k lb curb weight. Having said that, the experience driving one is unlike any other street vehicle on the road. The car is light enough not to need power steering, and steering feedback doesn't get much better than that (although 3 point turns can be a pain!). I am and have always been a fan of "drivers" cars, a la my old e36 M3. Having said that, even 190 HP in a 2k lb car gets old quickly. I was not "satisfied" with the car's overall performance until I upgraded to around 290 WHP. At that power level, I was able to keep up with Z06's on the straightaways of my local tracks I frequent 3-4 times a year (also I would not consider myself great on the track by any stretch, I just like to have fun!). I cannot say if my feeling here is shared by the majority of Lotus owners, but I can say that my sentiment is shared by many in the online community.

While you suggest an Elise vs vette car markets, I guess I am saying I am looking for something in-between. I would be exiled for saying this in a Lotus forum, but the Exige has become a little too flashy for my taste. You have to be very careful where you park at all times, and god forbid there is any rain because it is going take some rally skills navigating the freeways (ask me how I know ). I only track the car 3-4 times a year, which I'm guessing is much more than the standard Lotus owner anyway, but it still just isn't enough for me to justify the drawbacks from living in a world with high driveway ramps, theft, and inclement weather. I like the BRZ concept because it is not as flashy but still looks great, their curb weight is still within the realm of what would seem to give excellent driver feedback, not to mention other aspects (RWD) Subaru is focusing on to really drive home the experience of the vehicle.

I know at 200 HP I personally will not be satisfied with the performance of the BRZ, and at that level you are really competing with the likes of the Miata. Hey the Miata is a great car as well for what it is, I just feel like competing in that car market is beneath what the BRZ is capable of.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
catinthehat is offline   Reply With Quote