View Single Post
Old 01-30-2012, 12:18 AM   #89
smadasam
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 161271
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2005 Saab 92x

+1 for hating on the FP 68HTA (I have one)

I started with a stock '05 ej205 and a Evo3 16g. I made about 280+ whp before I spun my rod bearing.

Next I had Maxwell power rebuild my engine as a 2.1 stroker with some head work. This was a little over two years ago. I figured I would get a new turbo for the new build, so the 68HTA seemed like a good fit for my daily driver needs. I have been regretting that decision ever since then. After my new motor was broken in, I was only hitting about 290 whp on pump gas. Dom at MPS thought that there was too much restriction in the exhaust system. We tried a diffrent turbo back and broke 300 whp. Finally we ordered a 10cm hotside from Blouch, and made it to 330 whp and called it good. I think he left it at 22 lbs boost. Needless to say, I was kind of disappointed. At the time, Dom felt like we would have done much better with an 18g. At the time I called up FP and complained. There was no way that turbo could flow 47lb/min. The support guy claimed it would at 30+ lbs, but I thought that was BS and I am very doubtful it could perform as advertised even with race gas. At least I don't have to worry about breaking my 5 speed for now, but since I am keeping my car forever now, I figure I might as well get a better matching turbo for my build.

I would love to see some dyno posts of a 18g xt on a 2.1 stoker.

Here is my dyno plot from Maxwell Power's dyno.

* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
smadasam is offline   Reply With Quote