Scooby Newbie

Member#: 279512
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2011 STI Limited 4dr
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinch77 View Post
Just drain it and put new oil in.You will pay more for what ever test there is than what five quarts of oil will cost you.
Trust but I would rather not throw away $70 just to spend another $50 or w.e. it will be just to put new oil in... I think I am just going to make sure that when they hand me the paperwork back tomorrow that it states that synthetic oil was put in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badler View Post
Pro tip: Change your own oil and you will know what kind it is.
I am either going to learn how to change my own oil now or I am just going to buy the stuff ahead of time and have the dealer use what I bring to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by z View Post
That's definitely lame. What stealership was this?
I would rather not say exactly what dealership it was... Fact of the matter is that many Subaru dealerships in Connecticut don't seem to know anything in general about the cars sadly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciper View Post
I hate to break it to you guys but Synthetic is NOT REQUIRED only suggested. Read your owners manual closely

edit: For example, this is directly from the 2011 Forester Owners Manual

In other words the only REQUIREMENT is API SM or SN with ILSAC GF-4 or GF-5. All the other "mays" and "shoulds" are not requirements at all.

You can run conventional oil all day long if it meets the requirements and you change it according to the interval specified. If you really want to know what is going on send your oil for analysis. Its only 20$ fricking dollars and you'll know for certain whether the conventional oil is damaging your engine.
The Forester is a completely different car and as far as I know I am sure that they do not have a turbo model.

Here is the print in the 2011 STI Owners Manual directly off of Subarus My Vehicle Section:

SAE viscosity No. and applicable temperature

5W-30 synthetic oil is required for optimum engine performance and protection. Conventional oil may be used if synthetic oil is unavailable.

*: If 5W-30 synthetic oil is not available, 5W-30 or 5W-40 conventional oil may be used if replenishment is needed but should be changed to 5W-30 synthetic oil at the next oil change.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
CTSSM2011STI is offline   Reply With Quote