98 Forester 3.0R

The benefits to the uk ECU
-matched with a maunal transmission
-uk doesnt have fuel evaporative systems
-it came with matching BIU and key

Downsides
-ecu pinout was different
- uk legacy had some different options never offered in the us

So about 2 weeks ago my wiring was at the point where I could attempt to start the engine, I really was just wanting to verify that i had the wiring correct. Well the engine started but promptly died and would lock out the starter.
Apparently something was not right with my "matched set of components" This means I would have to go into subaru to see if they could even reprogram the UK electronics.

One issue that was giving me problems was with the UK BIU the uk legacy had a double door lock system and the BIU was looking for 5 wires coming off the lock actuators. Taking another chance I purchased a used BIU from a US spec 07 legacy outback manual trans. This fixed my door lock issues but would it work with the UK ecu and keys.

Last thursday I had scheduled with subaru to try and reprogram the immobilizer system. I gave them the UK vin number to pull the id codes. About an Hour later they called back saying the US system would not recognize the UK VIN. So I supplied them the VIN from the US BIU that i had purchased. With that vin they were able to pull the security and Immobilizer codes. However just before close they called saying the system just would not accept the codes and they did not know why.

It was a bit of a depressing day for sure, and I had pretty much consigned myself to the fact that I would need to go to a standalone ecu.

Well friday morning I went out to subaru to see if they could supply me with any info to trouble shoot the problem, maybe it was wiring, maybe it was a component issue. I was talking to the tech while he was trying to program the Key and the subaru select monitor would come back with a failed key registration. After thinking for a min the only part of the equations that was still UK was the key. Lucky for me someone had recently cut a key wrong so they had a new immobilizer chip to try.

Once I got the UK immobilizer chip out of the system and the US chip in the key registered and .....

well here is the results of that...
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
lodown1 is offline   Reply With Quote