Old 02-18-2012, 09:36 PM   #12
ravengage
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 310636
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza SP 5-MT
OBP/DGM

Hey all--just joined up.

@ rwilner: I'm w you, brother. One must-have mod for my 2012 Impreza Sport was a good short-shifter. The stock is decent but throws too long for my taste.

Like SubuImpreza12, I installed Kartboy short-shifter for WRX 08-12/Legacy 06-09 (lever only, stuck with OEM bushings) a few days ago w friend's help (thx, DCY). Works very well--slick.
@ Diskreet: shift knob threads same fit as WRX & last-gen Legacy, too.

Adds a lot to the car given that I feel I have to shift a lot more to get as much out of the 2.0 litre engine as I did out of my 2.5 litre Legacy.

Overall MUCH better than stock--shorter throw, stick about 3/4" to 1" lower. Increased resistance noticeable but not intrusive--makes sense given the physics of a shorter torque-lever.

Install note: If doing yourself, the install is very similar (almost indentical) to 2008-2011 WRX install (check YouTube for "How to install Short Shifter for 09 WRX") with one critical difference. The release bolts for the center console are NOT inside the rear compartment--they are on the OUTSIDE of the console toward the rear under plastic caps with small indents for removal. If you kneel down with back doors open & front seats slid forward, you will see them.

Also of note, there was a lot of additional padding around the rubber shifter boot in the 2012 Impreza when compared to the 09 WRX in the video. I'm not sure what it's for (soundproofing? vibration?) but it lifts out easily with the rubber boot.

Happy shifting & hope that helps!

--Rave

PS--with thanks to Tom from Kartboy, who seems very dedicated to his craft & told me that the shifter would work. And boy does it.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by ravengage; 02-18-2012 at 09:50 PM.
ravengage is offline   Reply With Quote